Edinburgh Sleep Medicine Course
NEW DATES CONFIRMED: 23rd - 27th August 2021
This annual, 5 day long course is suitable for health professionals and is formally accredited by the Royal College of Physicians.
The next Edinburgh Sleep Medicine Course will be held on 23rd - 27th August 2021
For those who are interested, we will be running our 2 day CBT-I (Basic) Course directly following the Sleep Medicine course on 28th - 29th August 2021.
Registration is open. Please contact Lisa on email@example.com for further details
About the course
This 5 day course runs annually and is suitable for health professionals.
Sleep medicine as a speciality has burgeoned in the last 20 years, yet remains a relatively young discipline within the field of healthcare.
Sleep has relevance over a wide range of other specialities including respiratory medicine, cardiology and neurology, and impacts significantly on public health aspects such as driving, work performance and hypertension.
To be able to effectively practice in this area, it is important to have a solid grasp of the basics underlying adult sleep medicine. This course aims to provide a grounding in sleep technology and the science behind the diagnosis and management of more common adult sleep disorders.
The Edinburgh Sleep Medicine Course is endorsed by the European Sleep Research Society (ESRS).
This course is open to applicants from all countries. You will need a strong understanding of spoken English.
The course is primarily aimed at:
- Medical trainees
- Allied health professionals
- General Practitioners
- Anyone with a professional interest in sleep
What you will learn
Our course covers the fundamental aspects of adult sleep medicine.
We will focus on the fundamentals of adult sleep medicine and discuss recent developments. We aim to increase the profile of the discipline to encourage more research, networking and training opportunities.
Aims and objectives
Building on the expertise of our Department, the focus will be on adult sleep and its disorders. Over the duration of the course we aim to:
- teach the fundamentals of sleep medicine.
- provide up-to-date information on the theory and practice of sleep medicine.
- develop educational, research and career opportunities.
- strengthen availability of vocational training in sleep in the UK and Europe.
The course will consist of lectures, tutorials and hands-on workshops. Topics covered include:
- Physiology and pathophysiology of sleep and breathing
- Technical aspects of sleep measurement
- Obstructive sleep apnoea
- Cheyne-Stokes respiration
- Modes of delivering positive airway pressure
- Parasomnias and nocturnal epilepsy
- Periodic leg movements
- Sleep apnoea and cardiovascular risk factors
Registration and further information
If you would like to register for any of the courses or require further information, please get in touch.